Guineapig02_banner
Back to latest news

Luminus finds a new home

Luminus_article_detail

Thank you so much for contacting us about Luminus. Please excuse this “standard” response but we have been absolutely amazed at the response we’ve had - over 500 telephone calls and e mails from all over the world- so this is the best way to make sure we respond to everyone as quickly as we can.

We are delighted to say that we have now found a wonderful, loving home for Luminus and we hope this will be the start of a long and happy life for her, now that she has a second chance.

We still have many other cats looking for loving homes and find that the black and white cats are often the last to be picked as people prefer the more colourful pets.

If you could find a place for one of our cats, please do get in touch- you can look at the cat rehoming pages of our website to see all the beautiful cats currently looking for love and to find out more about the adoption procedure.

Wood Green is perfectly happy to rehome animals abroad but we do have to insist that prospective guardians come to one of our Centres first so realise this may be difficult for our overseas supporters.

Thank you again for your interest and support- it means a lot to us to know that there are so many caring animal-lovers around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six week old Luminus has been inundated with rehoming offers after her unusual black and white markings likened her to Charlie Chaplin and Adolf Hitler.

The little black and white beauty became the centre of attention on Friday morning after being dubbed 'Kitler' and 'Charlie Cat-lin' by a national news agency.

Luminus, as she prefers to be known, was found by a member of the public on the busy A421 in Kempston, Bedfordshire on July 22.

Although she is six weeks old, staff at Wood Green originally thought she was only four weeks because of her size. However, that hasn't stopped little Luminus who loves nothing more than getting up to mischief like any other kitten and is completely oblivious of her new found fame.

She will be available for rehoming shortly. Please take a look at some of the other cats looking for new homes.

Tags:

88 Comments

• John Bracich
    29 July 2011, 17:59

Why couldn't you have nicknamed the darling "Chaplin" as in Charlie Chaplin?

• Alina
    29 July 2011, 18:07

We'd love to adopt her. We're in Florida, in the US. Is it possible? The poor baby.

• Danielle
    29 July 2011, 18:27

That kitten is soooo cute! I would take it in a heart beat!

• Katherine Keeling
    29 July 2011, 18:53

Oh how I wish she was in Toronto! I would beg my Husband to take her in. I don't think she looks like him at all. I do like Charlie as a name for her though.

I hope you can adopt her soon.

• Alli
    29 July 2011, 18:58

I would gladly adopt this adorable kitty. I think her markings are adorable. If you should send her to the States, she would have a wonderful home for life.

29 July 2011, 19:03

I would love to adopt this adorable little kitty! Can you ship him to the US? I don't care about the silly comparisons as to the markings. Way too cute!

• Jessica
    29 July 2011, 19:17

I think her name should be Cocoa, or Dotty. Can she be shipped to the US?

• Alison Dunn
    29 July 2011, 19:21

Aloha from the Garden Island of Kauai, Hawaii

We would be most happy to adopt this adorable little kitten. We live on an acre of land and have several cats who would love to welcome her to our Ohana (Hawaiian for "family").

Please let us know if we can be of assistance. We'd love to have her!!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Alison Dunn

• Becky
    29 July 2011, 19:23

Probably the most unique cat I've ever seen, I want her! How could someone abandon her :(

• Hoser
    29 July 2011, 19:34

My wife and I and kids would giver her a loving home. How do we get her to Sioux City, IA?

• Janna Tebbs
    29 July 2011, 19:40

My husband and I live in Atlanta, GA, in the United States, and we have just fallen in love with her story and her picture. We're a pet-friendly household and would love to offer her a home if she still needs one!

Sincerely,
    Janna Tebbs

• Jeff Neff
    29 July 2011, 19:54

so you think she'll get a home, then? Hope so! She's adorable! I'd take her, but I live in Los Angeles (and no, not Hollywood rich either, sad to say)

good luck to her and to your wonderful organization. If it's not too much trouble, would like to know if she does get adopted.

Thanks!
    Jeff Neff

• Erin
    29 July 2011, 19:58

People are ridiculous! I don't understand how they could think she looks like Hitler since the marking looks NOTHING like a toothbrush mustache! Since when did he have a mustache on the right side of his nose? LOL =P Wish I could adopt her - though I doubt you ship to Canada ;-)

• Melissa
    29 July 2011, 20:12

I would love to have that kitten! Truly! Is she still available for adoption?

29 July 2011, 20:15

My sister has two cats with such markings and they are both adorable. It is all marketing -- I would call this little beauty a Charlie Chaplin kitty (instead of Hitler). If I did not already have six cats, I would offer to adopt her myself.

Best of luck to her in finding a great home!

• ellen
    29 July 2011, 20:19

id adopt her

• Dave
    29 July 2011, 21:01

I read the story on CNN in the USA. I was ready to fly over and adopt that little kitty. Thanks for finding that kitten a loving home!
    ~Your friend and fellow kitty lover in the USA
    Dave

• John Harling
    29 July 2011, 21:09

Thanks for all you do for cats and kittens. I'm sending a small donation all the way from Texas. For Luminus and all the others!

• Perri Rattelade
    29 July 2011, 21:17

Luminus is adorable and I read on one website that she would unlikely find a home so I looked up the Animal Shelter noted on the Toronto Star as I would offer to come to the UK to get her! Cats each have a personality of their own and she deserves to have kind, loving home!

• tracy cook
    29 July 2011, 21:39

Did Luminous get a home?

Tracy

29 July 2011, 22:35

Great news...if those homes fall through...let me know.

• Derrick Steed
    29 July 2011, 23:51

Please consider me if you can't re-home her successfully.

Best regards,

Derrick.

30 July 2011, 00:04

has someone rehomed or is planning to rehome her yet?

• Holly
    30 July 2011, 00:27

This story really got to me. What an adorable little kitten. I live in the U.S., but would be willing to adopt her, although, thankfully, it sounds like you have locals who feel the same way and will give her a loving home. If that falls through, please contact me!

• Jennifer
    30 July 2011, 01:24

She is the cutest! I am interested in adopting her!

• Paul Holyoak
    30 July 2011, 01:37

May I offer a home for Luminus please?
    Paul H

• Paige Brown
    30 July 2011, 04:43

Please let me know when Luminus is available for rehoming. Thank you

30 July 2011, 05:09

I want to adopt this kitten. I allready love him!!!

• Jay
    30 July 2011, 05:29

Definitely a 'charlie chaplin' cat!

• Mark Weatheholt
    30 July 2011, 06:02

I will gladly take this kitten if we can get it to me. I live in Saint Augustine Florida, USA.

• Lloyd C Anderson
    30 July 2011, 06:55

Hi my wife and I are animal lovers' we have 10 cats well 9 now we just lost one of our babies to Cancer. We would love to rehome this baby if you can do this from over seas we live in the United States. If you do not find a new home for him let me know I will find a way to home him thanks and great story.

• Melanie Arriaga
    30 July 2011, 07:25

I had a cat just like this that died last year, his name was Moostash. I have been looking for another cat with these markings. I will adopt him in a heart beat. I have a friend who lives in England and he will help with whatever it takes to get him to me here in California.
    I am very serious about this,
    Melanie Arriaga

• Gail
    30 July 2011, 11:01

We will adopt Luminus she is bueatiful..!

30 July 2011, 11:11

We would love to adopt luminus. I am sure you will receive lots of offers for rehoming such a sweet kitten and I am sure you have many others in a similar situation. We have three cats and only live just down the road in Mid Suffolk.

• eco
    30 July 2011, 12:16

I am sooo so very happy many are wanting to give this little innocent beautiful life, a potentail happy, warm, safe home...never ever needing or wanting for anything. Long may he live all his cat years. Thank you everyone for caring.

I have a rescue cat, and my landlord kindly said i can keep her, because she saved us all from burning down when the wild children were playing with matches. So the kitten we rescued, she ended up rescuing all of us.

Please everyone, look to all the animals regardless of what they look like, and see if you have room to spare for these other animals. Life had been harsh with these poor animals, please help them.... you will never know....they may end up rescuing you in return!

• Dee Dee
    30 July 2011, 12:17

Who could not love little kitler I would give her a home. I live in newcastle upon tyne and have two three year old queens who are very loving and playing

• Nick
    30 July 2011, 12:36

Hello
    My name is Nick and I'm from Romania. I've seen and read about kittens in the picture above (Luminus) and I would like to adopt him because I have a black and white kitten that has the same distinctive mark in her mouth and I think would be perfect to be a brother to kittens you, but do not know what steps need to be made ​​and if you agree. I live at court and have two dogs, one common race (Maidan) and one German Shepherd. So there is space but you must be your agreement and do not have to get too many acts to bring the kittens home from England.
    Sincerely yours
    nick

30 July 2011, 12:43

I think she is beautiful! We live in Bedford, with one cat and we would willingly adopt her and welcome her into our home. Please let us know when she is available and whether we would be able to. Thank you!

• Summer
    30 July 2011, 13:11

Live in the U.S. Saw this story in the NY Post. My boyfriend and I will happily adopt her if necessary. As a ASPCA volunteer and member we already share our home with one rescue and have more than enough room in our hearts for another;)

• Daniel
    30 July 2011, 14:04

We've taken in abandoned/disowned cats before so we'd be more than happy to adopt this cat. We live in London.

• nancy
    30 July 2011, 14:17

I would love to have her, I am interested in her adoption.
    I am an experienced pet owner, with an empty house .
    please contact me.

30 July 2011, 14:30

We live in Stratford upon Avon and we have a 2yr old female cat at the moment, we would love to adopt this beautiful kitten, she would fit right into our loving home, please consider us for adoption, I can give you more information regarding our home life, so that you know she would have the best of everything and more.

• elena
    30 July 2011, 15:22

We'd love to adopt this adorable kitten.We're in Missouri in the US.Is it possible ?

30 July 2011, 15:43

If there was a way to get this cute guy to Vermont, we'd adopt him in a second. I don't think the markings bear any resemblance at all. If he ends up not finding a home, please let us know.

• Yvette
    30 July 2011, 15:57

I'd love to adopt her. I already have Igorr, or as he is lovingly called, the devil child. I'm in Florida. Yvette

• Nadia
    30 July 2011, 16:10

I'd love her and we live in wales we all think she is adorable :)

• Julie
    30 July 2011, 16:38

I wish we could adopt her because we already have a male cat that has the same mustache (Hitler or Charlie Chaplin) markings. We call him Charlie and we love him very much he is very playful also. We live in the US in Texas so I guess it would be hard to adopt this little one but I think it would be awesome to have two cats with the same kind of markings.

• Sandra
    30 July 2011, 17:04

Luminus is such a cutie and we would love to adopt her. We have two kittens, Kizzy and Alfie (who strangely enough I was going to call Rommel until I was out voted!!)

• Mark
    30 July 2011, 18:11

We would love to adopt Luminous. We have had four cats for the past 15 years+ and lost three in the past 18 months and would love to replace them.

• elysia
    30 July 2011, 19:14

I'm in New Jersey in the US and I would love to have her!

• Penny
    30 July 2011, 19:26

There is one in Melbourne Florida that could use a home as well....his name is Charlie....

30 July 2011, 19:43

Hello, we want to adopt little Charlie, we are from Czech Republic, kitty we like very much. What is necessary to adobt abroad and the approximate cost of all that is needed.?
    And is it even possible? Thank you.
    Excuse my English, is not good. Lucie

• Kat
    30 July 2011, 20:37

The gorgeous little kittle was very lucky to be found alive. The A421 can be extremely busy with a lot of heavy traffic. She was only found a couple of miles from where I live.... wish I had found her. She is so sweet and I would love to offer her a home, fortunately I live in the countryside and no traffic (unless you call the icecream van traffic!). However, WGAS has probably got a long waiting list for her now so fingers crossed that she goes to a loving home.

• Sue
    30 July 2011, 20:49

We would love to have her, we have three other cats, she will not be lonely, we live in south west London.

• Bella Hutchins
    30 July 2011, 22:17

As I said in my email, my family and I would love more than anything to adopt this kitten. We are in New York in the United States. Please email back. Thank you so so much :)
    -Bella

• Andrea
    30 July 2011, 22:29

Hi,

just as I read and Kitler, I immediately started to look where I find him - pity that so far - I'm from the Czech Republic: (I would not hesitate a moment and I would take him home. I see offers for a new home a lot - so I wish him a loving family and beautiful home. Bye Andrea

• Geoff
    30 July 2011, 23:04

This little kitten is so gorgeous, i live in the north west near warrington, and have 3 cats at the moment, unfortunatly i do not have enough space to adopt her, but would willingly take her on if i did, how people just abandon any pet is beyond me.....hope she finds a loving home very soon.......

• Sandy
    30 July 2011, 23:49

Send her to me in Las Vegas - she is adorable - will pay shipping costs.

• Pauline Gilgan
    31 July 2011, 00:11

I live in Florida, I want to adopt her yesterday! I'll give her loving home in a tropical paradise. Let me know what am I suppose to do to start the process. Thank you!

Pauline

• Maureen & Kevin
    31 July 2011, 02:11

We would love to welcome this adorable liitle kitten to our family. Our family consists of 2 male and 1 female all fixed. One solid black -- 1 year old, named Boo --and one solid gray -- 1 year old, named Mr. Withers -- and one mixed white and gray -- 5 years old, named Sasha. She (kitler) would be the perfect addition because she is black and white. All our cats get along and I am sure the three here would welcome her with open paws. We live in New York City.

• Florida
    31 July 2011, 02:32

Penny is correct. There is another "Charlie" located in Florida (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20114546), so that's the perfect alternative for Americans. Luminus will have a number of British offers. Let's give Charlie a home too!

• ryan
    31 July 2011, 04:16

you should send her to me i wish i had the money to fly to Britain and pick her up id do it without ever thinking twice ive always wanted a cat and my dog would love her

• Tommy
    31 July 2011, 06:40

Luminous would find a happy home with us in NY.
    She could live happily with our two older cats and two younger children.
    Will be happy to transport her to the USA.

31 July 2011, 08:33

I would certainly love to have a companion. I'm all alone in my shop. If only I could have Chaplin fly over in Singapore.

31 July 2011, 09:42

Hello, me, i think it's a verry beautiful cat! i love this cat, it so cute! i'm from Romania, and i can't see this cat in reallity. Bye

• kelly
    31 July 2011, 10:28

My partner and i already have a 4 month old tabby kitten and looking to adopt another cat into our home giving the love an attention it needs. i think this little cutey will be the perfect companion. They can play all day long getting up to plenty of mischief im sure.

• Anouska
    31 July 2011, 11:16

Awwwwwwww this kitten is so cute i wish we could have him and we dont live very far away !! I am your biggest fan Kitler :)

From Anouska

• Norma Dibley
    31 July 2011, 11:30

We also adopted a Hitler / Chaplin look alike in April last year from the RSPCA. They also said it would be difficult to re-home but out of about 15 kittens, he was our first choice. We have called him Ozzie and we idolize him. Wish I could send a picture.

• Dan
    31 July 2011, 11:33

No offence to residents of other countries but this opportunity should be available to the people in the country the kitten resides before anywhere else. I know it upset a few people but it's only fair.

• martine grimes
    31 July 2011, 12:25

I would take her in a heartbeat for a little sister to my 2 year old cat allie. I live in the country in northern ireland and can tell you she would be spoilt rotten. Please if possible could she be brought over here.

• Natasha
    31 July 2011, 12:44

I really want to adopt her! She's gorgeous! I'll be keeping my eyes open for when she's available!! I'm based in London :-)

• Adrian
    31 July 2011, 13:39

I read about this gorgeous little kitten on the Telegraph.co.uk and would love to take her in. Anyone who overlooks her is insane. I live in the Midlands.

• joanne
    31 July 2011, 15:11

If that cute little kitty needs a home, send her to me in the States, no kidding we would have her in a minute. She would have a sister cat and a sister dog (who loves other animals including cats) and a family that would cherish her. She is just adorable!

• kalman&camelia
    31 July 2011, 18:50

I would adopt her soon as possible!May i take her personaly?We live in Romania , we already have a cat but she`s unresistable!please ....:)

• Katarina Forss
    01 August 2011, 00:01

Love her! I live not far away, in tottenham. Would it be possible to come and see her? I have a one year old cat who still acts like a kitten, and would love to have a furry friend. :)

• Katarina Forss
    01 August 2011, 00:06

Tache or Mouche. I like Mouche (fly).

• Traxy
    01 August 2011, 11:02

Glad she's found a new home. :) If not, I would've happily offered her a home in Nottingham. She's adorable!

• Emily
    01 August 2011, 14:33

What a cute kitten

I would have him if i did not have two other cats

• Geovani
    01 August 2011, 18:03

A história desta gatinha é maravilhosa, ela realmente é uma batalhadora por ter sobrevivido e por ter vencido esta fútil comparação a Hitler. Espero que ela possa ter conseguido um lar em que sua família dê o carinho que ela merece. Aliás adoraria ter uma gatinha britânica comigo aqui no Brasil.

• Carol
    01 August 2011, 22:51

I'm glad she found a home. I hope it's a good forever home.

• Leandro Doria
    02 August 2011, 02:44

Hello! I read news about Kitler, and I was so shocked with the person/monster that abandoned her. I'm from Brazil and I really would like to take care her... But I'm sooo far, and "she's" almost have a family. I hope everything's gonna be alright now!

• Elizabeth Lacey
    02 August 2011, 15:44

Luminus is adorable. So many offers of a loving home, so come on all you pet lovers. There are dozens more adorable animals all needing loving homes just waiting for you to go and choose them.

• SUSAN SQUITIERI
    03 August 2011, 02:39

I'm from Connecticut, I would take her in a heartbeat. With or without strange markings. Markings don't matter to me at all!!! She looks loveable.

• winston
    03 August 2011, 22:38

Charlie Cat-lin is better....

• Cute cats are in your own country too...
    06 August 2011, 00:33

I work in an animal shelter in Alberta, Canada and I just wanted to point out to the commenters on this site from Canada and the US that there are thousands, if not millions, of homeless pets on this continent that need loving homes. If you're really interested in this cat because it's cute and lovable, not 'famous', then go have a look at your local rescue. I can GUARANTEE that there are plenty of cute kittens and wonderful adult cats that need a loving home! On another note, I'm very happy for little Luminus that she has found a loving home to take care of her.

• Ivana Christ
    10 October 2011, 02:55

I want to adopt her

• Danielle
    03 November 2011, 18:45

She is incredibly cute! I would've loved to have her! (And I don't think my tabby boy would mind her much since she's so little!) Who could abandon such a little sweetheart!

• Randy Jameson
    10 November 2011, 17:22

I read about Kitler on line and would like to offer our family's help. Were from South Eastern Pennsylvania, United States with my wife of 30 years, two sons 14 and17 and a 10 year old male indoor cat. Our cat is a big part of our family and gets attention constantly. We found him as a kitten. A can of tuna later he decided to stay with us. We live in the country with plenty of land and wild animals all the time, deer, foxes, etc. Our home is always open for lost souls. I could show up if desired, to escort "little wonder" home., Jameson's